Saturday, November 8, 2014

The peaceful temple

I have spent the last two days sick in my room, not on the trip North I had planned to take. No, I was not ill from some exotic Asian illness; rather I had fallen a foul of the Australian flu courtesy of a new volunteer who brought it with her. All was not lost however because I had time to look through my photos for other topics of interest. 

Last weekend, I visited an interesting temple called either the peaceful temple or the golden temple, depending on which guidebook you consult. It is a new temple, constructed about 29 years ago and required a 30 minute tuk-tuk ride out of town.


There are five floors in the interior of the temple, each floor containing murals representing different levels of existance. The mural I have included was one of my favorites and came from the first level depicting life lived poorly. (The mural reminded me of days spent navigating corporate life.) Murals on the successive levels showed daily life lived well, religious life, heavenly life and at the top up some very steep stairs enlightenment. This final level had no mural, simply the sky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment